Wednesday 24 April 2013

Saying thank you to fans not enough: Tendulkar.....


Sachin Tendulkar has put some of the feared bowlers in the world to the sword but the Little Master, who turned 40 today said he was tense while cutting his birthday cake. 

Tendulkar's birthday creates a national euphoria in India and millions of fans wished the batsman, hoping he would churn a special innings when Mumbai take the field against Kolkata at the Eden Gardens. Fifteen years ago, Tendulkar had decimated Australia in Sharjah as India trumped the men from Down Under to win the tri-series final. Shane Warne later said Tendulkar gave him nightmares. 

While every player from either side in that epic contest has now retired from international cricket, Tendulkar continues to ply his trade but confessed he was still touched by the gestures by fans and well-wishers.

"(I have) never been so tense actually while cutting a cake. Thank you everybody for this gesture. It's really touching," Tendulkar said in a brief cake-cutting ceremony where his wife Anjali was also present. 

Speculations have been rife on Tendulkar's career after he retired from ODIs last year. Despite a poor series against Australia, he has not indicated when he would retire from Test cricket. But the man himself is not worried even as age catches up with the evergreen boy of Indian cricket. 

"While walking to get here (for the celebrations), I met Anil Kumble along the way who wished me 'Happy Birthday' and told me, 'don't worry, 40 is just a number.' So that was sort of relieving," he said with a smile. 

Tendulkar's fan base in India has not diminished inspite of a poor run of form. Millions still pray and hope for last burst before the final bow. Sachin did not disappoint his admirers and thanked them for their undiluted support. 

"Let me take this opportunity to thank all the people in India and all across the world who are well-wishers of mine...They have supported me and showered their unconditional love on me over the last 23 years. So it's been really special," he said. 

"It's because of their good wishes and prayers that I am standing here in front you all after 23 years. It's been my strength. I thought this was the best opportunity to come here and thank each and every one of them for every little thing that they have done for me," he added. 

Tendulkar said there have been many special people in his life who have made various sacrifices for him. 

"There have been so many people who have made various sacrifices, fasting and those kind of things when I was injured... I just want to say thank you which I believe is not enough. 

"I would have personally liked to meet and thank them but it's not possible so I thought this was the best forum where I could reach out to most of them," he said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment