Wednesday 24 April 2013

Sachin is the king of batsmanship: Sir Viv........


Sir Vivian Richards who terrorised the best of bowlers in his his days happens to be a big Sachin Tendulkar fan and is in awe of the Indian legend. 

Tendulkar has in the past, also said how much he admired the Richards school of batting and the two hold each other in high esteem. The West Indian batting icon said it made him extremely happy to learn that Tendulkar wanted to emulate his aggression everytime he stepped out to bat. 

Sachin is just phenomenal. He is one individual I have always admired for years. When people ask about me and Sachin says that he wants aggression like mine and Sunny's (Sunil Gavaskar) solidness, it is very pleasing. I am over the moon (whenever I hear this)," Richards was quoted in a recently writte book, Sachin - Cricketer of the Century written by journalist Vimal Kumar. 

Richards said he did not see Sir Donald Bradman bat but Tendulkar's game is the best thing in batsmanship. The Indian batting sensation who turns 40 today has charmed generations of fans and cricketers alike and Richards, one of the most revered names in the sport, has been bitten by the bug as well. Sir Viv, who is in India as an adviser to the Delhi team in the Indian T20 League, said that when Tendulkar wanted to bat like him, he took as a big compliment. 

"Bradman is very much revered in the modern world. However, I didn't see Sir Don Bradman batting but I saw Sachin batting and that for me is the best thing I have seen in batsmanship. Sachin is just magnificent. 

"It is the greatest compliment for me that such a figure, and so humble, and saying that he wanted to bat like me! I would say Sachin is a class act and I would pay back the compliment, Richards said". 

Richards said Tendulkar reminded him a lot of Gavaskar in his playing days and said Sachin to him is the greatest cricketer of the century, and put the 40-year-old far ahead of himself in the pecking order. 

"In many ways, Sachin reminds me of Sunny Gavaskar. If Wisden does that survey (Five Cricketers of the Century) again, may be Sachin will be at the top. His figures suggest that. 

"Folks, people who sit on the panel are influenced by what kind of impact a player has made. What kind of effect one had in winning. In that regard, Sachin is number one. I would happily take the No. 6 in that list of Cricketers of the Century" said Richards. 

Tendulkar virtually owns every batting record in the planet was key to India winning the World Cup, the only major accolade the 100-ton man could not lay his hands on till 2011. Richards said he deserved the honour: "I am very glad that Sachin is now part of a World Cup-winning team. Put the crown over his head maan, he is the king of batsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment